Out and About - Details
Neuadd y Sir
Phone: 01248 723332
Out and About - Location
Click HERE to see full size map
Llangefni has a resident population of around 5,000 people. It is Anglesey's second largest town, after Holyhead which has a population of over 11,000. Llangefni is the largest town on the main island of Anglesey, and is classed as the county town.
The town is named after the river Cefni, with the word "Llan" referring to the church of Saint Cyngar which is located close to the river, dating back to the dark ages. The Tudor dynasty has its origins in the Llangefni area, being descendants of Llywelyn the Great's chief steward Ednyfed Fychan.
The town's development was encouraged by its location as a river crossing on the coach road between the Menai Straits and Holyhead, its role as an important crossroads in central Anglesey, and the establishment of regular livestock and produce markets. By 1900 Llangefni had become an important local shopping and service centre, and the centre of local government and law on Anglesey.